Information on this page is sourced from the Australian Government Harvest Trail web site.
To work you will require an Australian Tax File Number (TFN).
Appropriate taxes are to be paid on all earnings. The rate will be determined by your background and the current working arrangements. These are collected by S & JP Pappalardo Family Trust and submitted to the Australian Taxation Office. If you fail to provide a TFN you will be taxed at the highest rate.
A TFN maybe obtained from the Australian Taxation Office.
If you are visiting Australia and you wish to work you will require a current and appropriate Working Visa. These may be obtained from the Department of Immigration & Multicultural & Indigenous Affairs.
- You will need hard wearing clothing that will keep you well covered and protected against the weather conditions and the work environment
- Maximum protection against the sun is essential. A suitable broad-brimmed hat is essential with your well covered clothing. You should use a sun screen cream with protection factor of at least 30+. Sunglasses are also to be recommended.
- Footwear should be sturdy work boots or shoes
- You should have a good supply of water to prevent dehydration issues
- Eat well and get useful rest each night for the day ahead - harvesting crops is demanding work so pace yourself accordingly
- Listen carefully to instructions given on the harvest and all aspects of health and safety advice - ALWAYS follow the instructions given and if in doubt, please ask!
- Make sure of your future work plans before you move on from your present location - you can call the National Harvest Labour Information Service (Freecall 1800 062 332) and seek assistance with making your plans
The National Harvest Guide booklet carries information on the fruit harvest throughout Australia.